Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Yo amor la vida

So the weekend before my trip came and went really quickly. Friday night was drinks with work and football friends, Saturday night was drinks with my old school mates, Sunday was a final catchup with the family, and somewhere amongst the hangovers I managed to pack my backpack without forgetting anything (except a pair of footy shorts).

Monday started with an alarm going off, and having to get up earlier to go on holiday than I usually get up to go to work. Not ideal, but I suppose for this occasion I can make an exception. Off to the airport in true touristy fashion, the airport bus from Sothern Cross station was my chosen mode of transportation. 

Five and a half hours at Auckland airport was my first destination, and the scene of the realisation of my first amateur mistake. Back in Melbourne I'd exchanged all my Aussie dollars for US dollars, and left nothing for using in Auckland during that time. So the exchange from AUD - USD - NZD was done and, a few dollars lighter because of the fees, I was able to tuck into the first of many fast food dinners, and have myself a few Speights golden ales while passing the time away. A good brew. The Super Bowl replay was on, and ads for Thursdays Miami vs Orlando NBA game gave me warm fuzzy feelings inside, as that's one game I WON'T be watching on TV!

11 hours later I was in La-la land, literally as well as figuratively, after yet another long haul flight with no sleep (I just can't do it!). Had 9 hours before my next flight so I jumped on a shuttle bus to the nearest cheap hotel and got a few hours sleep, just enough to get me through the next 24 hours.

Another overnight flight to Fort Lauderdale, no more sleep, and the realisation that my iTunes back home is not configured to put all unwatched episodes of tv shows on my phone, so I'm jetting around carrying the final 5 episodes of both Dexter and Sons Of Anarachy having not seen the start of either season. A little disappointed about that (chalk it up as amateur mistake #2), but I'll get over it. 

I did, however sit next to the most wonderful elderly lady on this flight, Nellie. Nellie was born in Columbia, lives in Maui, and was traveling to see her daughter in Costa Rica. She told me all about her travels over her lifetime, she's been everywhere, and most stories started with "when I was a spring chicken..." - delightful. It's hard to explain, but she just had an amazing energy about her. She taught me the most important Spanish phrase, and motto she lives her life by - "yo amor la vida" - I love life. The world needs more people like Nellie.

After some delays on the central Florida train system that make Melbourne's Metro look like they're running to NASA type scheduling, I made it to Orlando. A very nice looking city, although not as green as I had pictured in my head, and nowhere near as busy. The bus system runs like a charm, but the train line running directly though the downtown area made me question the town planning a little. Imagine freight trains running up and down Swanston street.

I walked around the downtown area for a few hours, including a lap around Lake Eola, which has a few nice photo opportunities along the way. I took too many photos. Made it back to my hotel and just managed to peel myself off the bed before falling asleep to go get some dinner and take advantage of the 2 for 1 drink offer. 

I think I've got myself into the time zone now after a good nights sleep, and today is about to involve a quick dip in the pool and then heading into the downtown area to do some touristy stuff, then see if I can find some friends amongst the trendy bars to go to the basketball with (I know they're trendy because the lady in the city information centre told me that's where "the young people" go). 

Loving life, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment